Fall 2018 - Exam Progress

Welcome to the Fall 2018 Exam Progress Thread!

Exam Date: Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018
Registration Deadline: Monday, Sept. 24, 2018

Use this thread to discuss anything and everything related to your preparation for the Fall 2018 ERM Exam! Let’s do it!!!

Wishing everyone the best of luck when results come out this Friday! I know it can be a nerve-wracking experience :flushed:, but having passed this exam, it’s well worth the effort. :joy: If things don’t turn out as hoped, Fellowship Forums is here to help get you that Pass that you deserve! :+1:

Good luck everyone today! Pass or fail, you all worked extremely hard and should be very proud of yourselves. If you’re re-writing ERM, lets work together and crush it for this sitting!!!

Results are posted: https://cdn-files.soa.org/web/Webwor...rs-56gr57r.pdf

Hey everyone! My name is Bradley, and I’ll be writing ERM this October. Looking forward to meeting everyone and using these forums to collaborate!

It was good news for me yesterday, thank goodness! Good luck in Fall 2018 everyone!

Hi everyone! My name is Paul, I’m an instructor for PAK Study Manual. I’m excited to go through this process with everyone!

Congrats!

To everyone else writing this sitting, good luck in the studying!

Hi Everyone! I am just starting to prepare for this exam, and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to go about learning the material? How much do I need to memorize? When should I start memorizing the material? Any blueprints out there on successful study methods/approaches?

Everyone has their own strategy that works… and it’s difficult to say what you need to memorize, since technically anything on the syllabus is testable. I will give you my strategy (others may differ) for which I used XP Actuarial when I was studying.

-Read the article summaries from your study manual as a starting point. This is quicker than reading the full reading and for easier readings, I could get just as much out of reading the summaries and save yourself some time.
-I would do the practice questions and would write “study sheets” of all the questions I didn’t answer correctly. This had two functions: 1) made a note of certain readings where I clearly didn’t understand the concepts well enough. This is an indication where I should either probably go back and read the source material and re-read the summaries or go back to the source material. 2) My “study sheets” now contained all the information in one place that I could consistently review to ensure I was spending time reviewing things I initially found more difficult rather than spending it going over things I already knew.

Ultimately, understanding the real concepts of each reading is the most important thing rather than memorizing any one specific fact… but pay attention to key definitions/formulas/lists that play a large role in the key concept of the reading as they would likely be something to memorize.

That is an excellent process XP-ERM! One thing to note with that is it was really good tracking/measuring of what you knew and what you didn’t know … and as you say allowed to devote more time to what you didn’t know. This kind of measurement is often under-rated by students

The “memorization” process I used (which moved me from thinking I would never complete exams to then passing everything without failing) was to build flash cards along the way of my reading and continue to review them a bit as I studied new material.

I got to a point where I had a stack of cards I knew well (and only reviewed occasionally) and a stack of cards that I didn’t know (which I reviewed much more frequently). The cards I knew well kept growing and the ones I didn’t kept getting smaller.

By the time I finished my first pass, I found I knew the material well enough that I could focus much more on integrating material, doing practice exams, and deeper dives into really weak areas of memorization/understanding.

Also, I didn’t fully realize it at the time, but this “spaced active recall” has a significant impact on learning. Check out this article here:

http://www.apa.org/science/about/psa/2016/06/learning-memory.aspx

Steve

Hi all. Quick question. Which calculator is recommended for this exam? Would it be depending on the extension I choose? Thank you for your help.

I used the Texas Instruments BA II Plus for all of the exams in the Corporate Finance Track, and found that it did the job!

I would highly recommend the Texas Instruments Multiview calculator ). The bigger screen is awesome!

I took the Corporate Finance track as well.

@Nash My apologies, I lied. I just checked my calculator at work and it is the Texas Instruments TI-30XIIS, and I used this one for all Fellowship exams! My bad! :joy::rofl:

Thank you!

How is the studying going so far? What are your early impressions of the material?

Overwhelmed by so many things…

It’s like I will never be able to understand and retain enough things to pass this exam.

I feel similar. There’s just so much material!

The good news is that there’s still LOTS of time left, and i guarantee we’re not the only ones in this boat.

Im just trying to get through the material at a decent pace, and absorb as much material and key points as possible along the way. At this point im trying to focus on the bigger ideas and Am not spending as much time on the nitty gritty details.

everything is in english…but i’m french :sob: so sometimes, it is difficult to understand some very specific words.