Date: Wednesday, October 30, 2019
Time: 8:30-11:45 a.m.
(Includes read–through time)

Group and Health Design and Pricing Exam – Segment C
Date: Wednesday, October 30, 2019
Time: 1:30-3:45 p.m.
(Includes read–through time)

Registration Deadline: Monday, September 23, 2019
(Registration closes at midnight U.S. Central Time.)

GOOD LUCK ALL

I’m in for the full day on 10/30. I missed the mark on Core in the spring, so I’ve been brushing up on ‘C’ material while trying to digest the newer ‘A’ material.

Curious how many people are in the same boat vs. first time FSA exam takers, or coming off either an Advanced pass/fail.

2 Likes

I am in the same situation as you. I am going through “C” material using Mate manual and notecards. For the new “A” material, I am reading source and then reviewing with Mate manual.

2 Likes

@alexlar2007 @kidactuary

Just to let you know, we are working to update the Exam Center for the Group exams, but this will take our @Fellowship_Forums team a bit of time. In the meantime, use our Learning Center, and the threads within them (organised by tags if you haven’t already figured that out :slight_smile:) to discuss syllabus topics from the readings. Hope you have a great sitting and pass this exam!

Hello! I am completely new to this exam. I’m preparing with a combination of MATE material, past exams, and the source materials. I incorporate applicable problems from past exams from the start because my retention is very poor and motivation is low without them (if I try to just read the materials).

2 Likes

Hi @Barrel - Welcome to the forum!

I think many people are in the same boat as you - it can be very challenging to retain information if you just read the material without testing yourself or discussing it with others.

When I was studying for the exams, I found that consistent discussion with my peers about the exam topics was by far the best way for me to retain the most information.

Hi. I took GH fellowship exams many years ago, but failed. Experience with a different employer the past few years has provided me with additional industry knowledge I hadn’t had years ago. So, I decided to give it another shot with the Fall 2019 GHDP sitting. I’m following the MATE suggested study schedule and have the Chicago MATE Everything Package, using no source material. Good luck to everyone here!

2 Likes

@Barrel Totally agree! I actually find most of the source material not to be worth my time, given I haven’t read half of it. It takes me a really long time to get through one textbook chapter, and then I end up losing most of that information by the time I get through the next summary reading anyway. I do think some of the articles are at least better than the textbook readings though.

@OldTimer I did MATE seminar last time and really liked it. Unfortunately I didn’t pass, and my employer only offers one seminar per exam. Good luck with getting back into exams!

2 Likes

@kidactuary Thank you. How is your studying going this time? Are you using MATE material for DP? Any tips on preparing for the seminar?

1 Like

@OldTimer

I still feel about as overwhelmed with material as I did last time, but I’m more optimistic. I’m using MATE materials again, just without the seminar & trying to keep up with online discussions better.

For seminar prep, I would recommend being overly prepared. The seminar is mainly a shortened read-through of each section with some group discussion, practice problems, and opportunities to ask questions. It was the first of any exam seminars for me so I didn’t know what to expect, and ended up being under-prepared. I had read through the outlines once, skimmed some of the note cards, and attempted a few problems without success. I wish I would have taken another pass through the outlines, memorized at least one card from each section, and really taken the time to understand a couple of the larger practice problems. I still took a lot away from it though, like which sections get tested more often, common problem formats & setup, what other people were struggling with, and other exam-taking & exam day tips.

Sorry for kind of a long answer. Hope it helps :slight_smile:

I’ve done some textbook readings and it seemed to help. I find the manual hard to get through too… I am using MATE and I do like it overall.

I am doing the seminar in Chicago, which is in 2 weeks. I started real studying August. [started carrying around flash cards mid July, I am most of the way through a first pass of the flash cards at this point]

I am in agreement that it would be better to be well prepared for seminar. I’ll do my best. My plan is to go through learning objectives 1-3, and have at least some familiarity with learning objectives 4-5. But in depth studying of 4 and 5 will be after the seminar.

@kidactuary Those were very helpful insights. Thank you! Keep plugging away!

2 Likes

Was planning on starting earlier this month but work was crazy busy, so today marked my beginning in earnest. Finished all my ASA requirements last month so am diving right in.

1 Like