GH FV Fall 2019 Progress Thread

Group and Health Finance and Valuation Exam – Segment C (U.S. and Canada)
Date: Thursday, October 31, 2019
Time: 8:30am – 11:45 am
(Includes read–through time)

Group and Health Finance and Valuation Exam – Segment A (U.S. and Canada)
Date: Thursday, October 31, 2019
Time: 1:30pm – 3:45pm
(Includes read–through time)

Registration Deadline: Monday, September 23, 2019
(Registration closes at midnight U.S. Central Time.)

GOOD LUCK ALL

Just want to start the thread.

So, I passed the Core exam in the last sitting (May 19). currently studying for the A component of the FV exam.

I am almost done reading the first learning objective. I will be using the source material this time with MATE condensed summary with my own updates + doing past exam questions.

How’s everyone else doing in terms of the progress?

@actuarylovescameras What is your game plan for practicing past exams for this sitting of GH FV? Do you plan to review the former Group Advanced exams only? Will there be elements of the Group Core exams that applicable for GH FV? The @Fellowship_Forums team is in progress of updating the Exam Center threads for the Group track and wonder how students will be planning to practice past exam questions under the new exam set-up.

Hey Aaron, nice to meet you here. It’s Shiyan, by the way.
Yes, there will be elements of Group Core exams that are applicable for GH FV. But since I am only writing the A component of the GH FV, I wouldn’t worry about past exams from GH Core.

But for students writing the full GH FV, I believe many questions from past GH Core exams are relevant and applicable.

1 Like

Hi @actuarylovescameras

I’m studying for the full DP exam after failing the spring Core exam. It sounds like we will both be studying for the DP-A exam segment, assuming you will be sitting for that segment on 10/30 as well.

Are you starting with the FV-A material for any particular reason? And have you noticed much repeating material from past Core (FV-C) exam topics? Asking because I have already noticed some overlap between DP-A & DP-C topics.

yes, I will be writing DP-A on 10/30.

I started with FV-A mainly because a coworker told me the material is focused around the topic of reserve, whereas in Core exam I found that there are many different topics, but almost all of them are lighted touched, not in very depth, which I don’t like.

I don’t think there will be much overlap between FV-A and FV-C.

I do notice overlapping material across a few different material within FV-A, which I think is a function of how SOA comes up with the syllabus. My feeling is that SOA would have one over-arching article talking about a bit of everything, and then have one/a few article for each individual item under the umbrella of the similar items.